Thursday, November 5, 2009

organization & papier

It's French week at my school (and probably internationally...maybe), and so my title is um, slightly French, right? Today we had a faculty meeting on best practices with ELL students--I found some things interesting and good to hear (targeting texts, how to modify them/make sure the purpose of the text & its audience is clear, etc), but it left me with lots of questions, still, on what people's best practices are when dealing with ELL students, and what scaffolding can look like for level 1 students who have no real grasp on sentence structure, and have very high frustration rates (I'm thinking of one student in particular).

But, I think those questions will be for another post. Why? Because I'm grading (read: procrastinating grading)! The paper load in my school is immense on a logistical sense, but also I'm realizing my organization of said papers is a hot mess. I tried putting things in folders, but I still find myself wanting in the "sit down and correct" department.

I've been proposed a bunch of things, mainly take certain days out to do certain activities. Since I'm split between middle and high school, I need to make sure I'm available to students on both sides. So, I've dedicated myself to M/W tutoring for middle school, and probably Tuesday for HS. Thursday is poetry club, and ain't no one taking that away from me! But, what about actually gathering all of my papers to correct? That's the toughest thing.

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

james boutin said...

Uhhhh - we teach at the same school....

...and Enide said...

We have "fun days" after quizzes. The girls play a game while I immediately grade and return their papers. I couldn't manage otherwise with 60+ students working on 6-12 different graded assignments.

Reading the District said...

the reflective educator--wow. i'm speechless. dang.

...and Enide, i dunno about "fun days" when it comes to my 9th graders. does it work with your 12th graders?

Mel said...

I usually grade everything on the weekends. If my students really, really want to know their grades I try to just knock it out on wednesdays by going to a cafe or doing it at home. I check the "do nows" in class and some stuff I have them self-grade.